For sale a circa 1984 Italian made 57cm framed Benotto Modelo 800 Dilettante. This 10 speed bike which has chrome forks is in good condition although the chrome on the forks is not perfect. The bike has the following list of components.
- SR crankset
- SR bottom bracket
- SR freewheel
- SunTour VX front/rear dérailleurs
- SunTour shifters
- Benotto brakes
- Dia Compe Cherry brake levers
- SR stem
- SR bars (Benotto bar tape)
- Benotto seat post
- Benotto saddle
- Zeus hubs
- Super Champion Competition rims
- (Sold without pedals)
In 1931 Benotto was founded in Turin, Italy by Giacinto Benotto a passionate racer when he was just 24 years old. In the early 1950’s the company split its operations between Italy and South America where they became the most popular cycling brand.
Benotto bikes have had great success having won 11 world championship titles including Franscesco Moser in San Cristobal, Venezuela in 1977 and Ole Ritter hour record in 1968 in Mexico City. There is some history here but you will need to use Google translate.
When this bike first turned a wheel…
- Twelve month long strike by coal miners begins in British coal industry
- IRA Bomb goes off in the Grand Hotel Brighton
- “Do they know it’s Christmas” for Band Aid was very very popular